film & television production incentive services.
Contrarian Tax Unit and its Principal is the market leader in the Southern Hemisphere, successfully structuring business plans and claiming project tax incentive payouts in full for many feature films, (mix of US studio, domestic and international co-productions), TV series and mini-series, with combined qualifying spends of over US$2 billion.
Our services are required by commercial marketplace lenders and completion guarantors, with the real value add being our understanding of the nuances involved in the various definitions and unique risk mitigation strategies for producers/financiers to maximise their claims.
In addition to our consultancy work with many local and federal government agencies, Contrarian Tax Unit provides the following tax and advisory services to producers, lenders and financiers and their specific productions in Australia, New Zealand and the USA:
- Film/ TV Project incentive planning & advice
- SPV Entity set up and structure
- Provisional Application advice and facilitation
- Initial incentives estimate based on breakdown of budget
- Formal professional opinions in favour of the financier/lender and/or completion guarantor detailing the predicted qualifying spend, face value of the application incentive and its resuilting cash valie, income tax integrity of the production/ deal structure and the impact of any direct and indirect taxes
- Final application advice and facilitation to achieve certification with the relevant government authorities
- Applicant tax return (where applicable) to claim the incentive and receipt of the proceeds on behalf of the lender and applicant
Each deal or arrangement is unique and the above services can be tailored to your specific requirements.